Once you’ve chosen the helmet you want, it’s all about making sure you’ve got the right size for safety and comfort. Wearing the wrong size helmet can increase of serious injury or death in an accident. A helmet that is too large for your head may be dislodged or knocked off in an accident. To select the right size helmet for your head, follow these instructions:
- MEASURE YOUR HEAD. Wrap a tape measure around your head about 1 inch (2.5 cm) above your eyebrows. If your head size falls between two helmet sizes, try on the larger helmet first and then the smaller size. You can use this NHK size chart to select the helmet size that corresponds most closely to your head measurement.
- TRY ON THE HELMET by grasping both chin straps to pull the helmet completely onto your head, ensuring that the top of your head is in contact with the top of the helmet interior.
- CHECK FOR A PROPER FIT. To make sure your helmet is the right size, check the helmet inner lining fits snugly around your head. The top pad presses firmly on your head. The cheek pads contact your cheeks. There is no space around your brow under the inner lining. Test this by trying to insert your fingers. If the helmet does not fit snugly, try on a smaller size.
- CHECK YOUR FIELD OF VISION. When trying on a helmet some helmets may obstruct or block your vision when looking left, right, up, or down. Always make sure you can see well enough to safely operate your motorcycle.
- TEST THE HELMET FIT by placing your hands on each side of the helmet. While holding your head as motionless as possible, try rotating your helmet from left to right then up and down. If you can feel the helmet padding sliding on your head, it is too big, try a size smaller. You should feel the helmet move the skin on your head and face as you try to move the helmet.
- FASTEN THE RETENTION SYSTEM (chin strap) as tight as possible under your jaw without causing pain. There must be no slack in the strap, and the strap must be tight up against your jaw. Test the retention system (chin strap) by put your hands on the back of the helmet and try to push the helmet off by rotating it forward.
- Repeat some steps until you find a helmet that fits your head snugly and securely.